|
I'll admit, I had a hard time
while reading William Wordsworth's "Tintern Abbey". Not because it
was long (which it is) or because the concept of a writer pondering the
passage of time in a secluded place surrounded by the wonders of nature is
something you read everywhere (which it is) or because the first time I was
reading it, it was about 2 am and I was too tired to function (which I was).
To be reasonable, I'm sure that all of these things did play a part in the
difficulty, but what made reading this the most difficult was that this
particular poem has so much more depth than many other poems written by poets
as they ponder the passage of time in a secluded place. It has layers:
internal versus external, past, present, and future, shifts in moods. It
seems that the author has a genuine struggle, one that commercial poets can't
convey with polite, meaningless words. There is so much to this poem that it
would take days or weeks to sort it all out and organize it in a way where
you can say "I know what this poem means."
The most striking part of
"Tintern Abbey" to me was the ending. Within the last 50 or so
lines, there is a clear shift; Wordsworth transitions from a very personal
speech that was clearly between nature and himself to an equally personal
speech that appears to be between him and his sister. The lines are as
follows:
For thou art with me, here, upon
the banks
|
|
Of this fair river; thou, my
dearest Friend,
|
|
My dear, dear Friend, and in thy
voice I catch
|
|
The language of my former heart,
and read
|
|
My former pleasures in the
shooting lights
|
|
Of thy wild eyes. Oh! yet a little
while
|
|
May I behold in thee what I was
once,
|
|
My dear, dear Sister! And this
prayer I make,
|
|
Knowing that Nature never did
betray
|
|
The heart that loved her; 'tis her
privilege,
|
|
Through all the years of this our
life, to lead
|
|
From joy to joy: for she can so
inform
|
|
The mind that is within us, so
impress
|
|
With quietness and beauty, and so
feed
|
|
With lofty thoughts, that neither
evil tongues,
|
|
Rash judgments, nor the sneers of
selfish men,
|
|
Nor greetings where no kindness
is, nor all
|
|
The dreary intercourse of daily
life,
|
|
Shall e'er prevail against us, or
disturb
|
|
Our chearful faith that all which
we behold
|
|
Is full of blessings. Therefore
let the moon
|
|
Shine on thee in thy solitary walk
The use of capitalization to
change common nouns into proper nouns helps emphasize that there is another
entity that Wordworth is refering to, but who is?
There are three words that are
capitalized: Friend, Sister and Nature.
Because the word
"Sister" was capitalized, my first assumption while reading the
poem was that he was talking to his sister. It was natural. However, even
though they were very close siblings, it seemed odd to me that anyone would
give such a personal speech to his sister. These words are an expression of
something that is obviously very close to his heart, so why would he be
sharing them with his sister?
After reading it once more, I
developed a sort of theory about it, which is mostly based on the fact that
the word "Friend" is also capitalized. Wordsworth capitalizes the
word "Nature" after he capitalizes the word "Sister,"
which shows that he considers nature as a living being. This being said,
since immediately before he gave such a personal speech about his
connection to nature to his “Friend,” I interpreted those lines as him
talking to nature. Nature is his friend and he feels her presence as he
stands on the banks of the river.
I also drew a connection between
Nature and his sister. It seems that he considered them one entity; he
praised his sister in the same way that he praised nature, and saw in them
his former self. In nature, meaning his natural surroundings, he sees how he
has changed. His settings remind him of the way he was and the things he did
the last time he was in Tintern Abbey and emphasized how he has transitioned
from boyhood into adulthood. In his sister, he sees what he calls his “former
pleasures.” She is a reflection of him as he was in his youth, and he sees in
her what he hopes will develop into a love of nature that equals his own.
As I said before, there is so much
to interpret in “Tintern Abbey” that I could keep typing for days or weeks,
and there very well may be more to come (I often have wonderful epiphanies in
the middle of the night, so whether or not I contribute more thoughts about
this poem depends on whether or not I have one tonight and whether or not I
feel like getting out of bed to actually get my laptop and type about it).
Anyway, for now I will leave it at my big take away.
|
Sunday, September 15, 2013
Thoughts on Wiliam Wordsworth's "Tintern Abbey"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment